Monday, June 23, 2014

Lawn Boy: 12 Year Old Thousandaire

Ever accidentally bought something?  This 12 year old accidentally buys a boxer.  Okay.  He doesn't really buy him, he's just his sponsor.

 Summer began with one worry:  how to get a new tube for his bike.  Once grandma gives him a mower his concerns shift:  How will I get all these lawns mowed?  How much do I pay my employees?  How did my stocks split? What do I do with a boxer?  How do I tell my parents I have $50,000. 


In this hilarious quirky tale "lawn boy" quickly learns business basics, wealth distribution and supply and demand, as his lawn mowing service takes off:    When one customer pays him in stocks, he learns the basics of a stock market:  buy low, sell high, capitol growth, portfolio diversification, splits, reinvesting, and taxes. 

Since elements of business design and the stock market drive one incredible summer, this book would be a fun addition to any business or economics class.

The book also hints at the concept of illegal workers.  This adds another layer to the book, but doesn't have to be explored.




Title:  Lawn Boy
Author:  Gary Paulsen
Copyright:  2007
ISBN: 0553494651
Reading Range:  10+ independent reading; 9+ read aloud
CCSS Anchor Standards:   R1, R2, R3&12 year R6

No comments:

Post a Comment