Sunday, June 1, 2014

Common Core; Common Language-Research

You take any program, even a bad program, if there is a common language, there will be success.  I'm currently working on a school-wide writing program that focuses on a common language, more in a later post. Research takes the stage today.  If a student researches one way for his science teacher, then another way for his English teacher, there isn't any transference.  A common language=a common process=success.  If a student does the same thing the same way multiple time, they own it!  While there are numerous processes to research, Mike Eisenberg and Bob Berkowitz's Big 6 has my vote.  (Super 3 for younger students.)  The Big 6 IS Information Literacy.  Reading is no longer good enough.  Students need to be able to process and present the information they find.

Big 6 offers a common vocabulary for research:

1. Task Definition                            

1.1 Define the information problem
1.2 Identify information needed
This includes generate research questions.

2. Information Seeking Strategies

2.1 Determine all possible sources
2.2 Select the best sources

3. Location and Access

3.1 Locate sources (intellectually and physically)
3.2 Find information within sources

4. Use of Information

4.1 Engage (e.g., read, hear, view, touch)
4.2 Extract relevant information

5. Synthesis

5.1 Organize from multiple sources
5.2 Present the information

6. Evaluation

6.1 Judge the product (effectiveness)
6.2 Judge the process (efficiency)


Of course, all can happen in the library, but step 3 is key.  Library, library, library.  This is the step to help students with vetted references.  Wikipedia (how-to in another post) has  a place, but shouldn't be cited to appease most teachers.  Anything in a database is game!  Prior to research, students need to be comfortable with the databases their school offers.  If we aren't comfortable with something, we don't use it.  Databases are too expensive to not have every student on campus comfortable using.  A little video, like this one, highlighting which database to use when will help their comfort level.


For younger peeps, get students prepared with super 3:
1.  Plan
 What am I supposed to do?
What do I need to get the job done?
What do I want it to look like when I'm done?

2.  Do
I must locate the things I will need (books, websites, materials etc.).
I  need to ask questions, read, and take notes.
I need to use the information I find to create something.

3.  Review
Did I do what I was supposed to do? 
Am I proud of what I've done?
Is there something else I should do before I say I am done?

Here is one teacher's journey of applying the Super 3.

The BIG SUPER awesome thing about these steps is you already do them!  Now time to talk with your collegues and get on board with a common research language.

I'd love to hear about your journey!!!!  Happy Research!

No comments:

Post a Comment